Jobs & Internships
Why should you pursue an internship?
An internship is an opportunity to gain experience in a field of interest under the supervision of a trained professional. It is a chance for you to gain hands-on experience and determine if that particular field of work is something you are interested in pursuing further. The structure of an internship varies depending on the organization and your personal needs as a student. Some characteristics of an internship are as follows:
- Occurs during the summer, fall or spring semester.
- May be part-time or full-time.
- May be paid or unpaid.
- If unpaid, may require the student to obtain academic credit.
- Interns should be provided with an on-site supervisor/mentor.
- Has an intentional “learning agenda” in a structured environment.
- Promotes academic, career and/or personal development.
We encourage you to consult with your faculty and/or academic advisor when selecting an internship that is appropriate for you.