Course & Schedule
Our study program will provide Regent students and SCA alumni with a two-week total immersion experience in the professional world of Hollywood screenwriting. During this course, students will work in a studio writer's atmosphere under the guidance of industry experts, developing a short film script. Students will study the various aspects of screenwriting under the tutelage of the faculty and guest speakers.
Guest speakers from 2014 included:
- Teresa Wayne (SVP Story, WB Features)
- Charlie Jordan Brookins (Pres, BET)
- Seanne Winslow (VP Dan Lin Productions)
- Bil Marsilii (Déjà vu)
- Clare Sera (Blended)
- Cory Edwards (Hoodwinked)
- Andrea Nasfell (Mom’s Night Out)
- Cheryl McKay (The Ultimate Gift)
- Sheryl J. Anderson (Charmed, When Calls the Heart)
- Dean Batali (the 70’s Show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
- Monica Macer (Nashville, Prison Break, Lost)
- Joel McCrary (Kickin’ It)
- Robert G. Lee (Can I Get a Witness Protection?)
- Rev. Kim Dorr (Bel Air Pres, Defining Artists Agency)
- V.J. Boyd (Justified)
- Jessica Grasl (White Collar)
- Melissa Glenn(Revolution)
- Kevin Chesley (Ninjago)
- Brady Nasfell (Breaking Dawn)
- Nicole Baer (Supernatural)
- Shun Lee (Writer’s Block)
- Brian Davidson (CSI Miami)
- Ken Wales (Amazing Grace)
- Chris Panneck (Story Manager, WB Features)
- Janet and Lee Batchler (Pompeii)
We are offering the following courses:
- SSW 614: Topics in Screenwriting: The Hollywood Experience
(3 credit hours)
- SSW 512: Writing the Short Film (3 credit hours)
Requirements for Acceptance:
- Graduate Students: SSW 510 (preferred) or a Producing class (FTV 525, 526 or 527).
- Undergraduate Students: FTVU 310 Screenwriting.
- Writing sample to be submitted to email@example.com with application:
- Short film script (5 pages minimum) or television script or;
- Feature film script in lieu of short film script or television script.
The course consists of:
- Online proloque
- May 13-28: class meets in Hollywood, CA
See important dates for more details.
During this course you will:
- Work on a series of treatments, exercises and short film scripts.
- Learn to give effective, constructive and useful notes to other writers, and accept notes from others graciously and judiciously.
- Meet and interact with Hollywood individuals, some of whom could become future colleagues.
- Learn about various studios, agencies and commissioning organizations.
- Students will see how the creative and business processes overlap
- Students will receive a workshop on "Navigating Hollywood as a Christian" (or similar topic). Students will tour Hollywood studios as well as network with Christians in the industry.
- Students will complete a commercially viable short film script.
Integration of FaithI Peter 2:11-12 encourages us with these words: “Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.” Isaiah says this: “The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners…” Hollywood is a tough place to live and work, but also a place in need of a message of Good News. This immersion course will address the challenges of being an exile in a strange land, as well as equip the student with both the artistic and spiritual means to bring light and hope into the industry and the craft.