Courses & Requirements for Acceptance
Our study program will provide Regent students and SCA alumni with a two-week total immersion experience in the professional world of Hollywood screenwriting. Students will study the various aspects of screenwriting under the tutelage of the faculty and guest speakers. During this course, students will develop a series of short film scripts.
Previous Guest speakers include:
- Teresa Wayne (SVP Story, WB Features)
- Bill Marsilii (Déjà vu)
- Clare Sera (Blended)
- Cory Edwards (Hoodwinked)
- Andrea Nasfell (Mom’s Night Out)
- Cheryl McKay Price (The Ultimate Gift, Alumni)
- Dean Batali (the 70’s Show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
- Monica Macer (Nashville, Prison Break, Lost)
- Joel McCrary (Kickin’ It)
- Robert G. Lee (Can I Get a Witness Protection?)
- Rev. Kim Dorr (Bel Air Pres, Defining Artists Agency)
- V.J. Boyd (Justified)
- Jessica Grasl (White Collar)
- Melissa Glenn (Revolution)
- Kevin Chesley (Ninjago)
- Nicole Baer (Supernatural)
- Shun Lee (Writer’s Block)
- Brian Davidson (CSI Miami)
- Jim & Karen Covell (Hollywood Prayer Network)
- Tom Provost (The Celebrity Apprentice)
- Kris Young (Learning to Fly)
- Kara Lee Burk (The Mr. Peabody & Sherman Show)
- Sheryl Fountain (Production Coordinator at ABC Family, Alumni)
- Christina Lee Storm (Act One)
- Jake Thomas (Epiphany Space)
- David Storrs (Scorpion)
- Daniella Romero (Beacon)
- Sheryl Anderson (
- Valentina Garza
- Janet Batcher
- Teresa Wayne
- Kris Young
- Amanda Morad (Alumni)
- Eric VanValin (Alumni)
- Chris Panneck (Alumni)
- David Acuff (Alumni)
- Matthew Sommer (Alumni)
We are offering the following courses:
- SSW 614: Topics in Screenwriting: The Hollywood Experience
(3 credit hours)
- SSW 512: Writing the Short Film (3 credit hours)
Requirements for Acceptance:
- SSW 510 (preferred) or a Producing class (CTV 525, 526 or 527).
- Writing sample (short film script of at least 5 pages; or television script; or feature film script) to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with application:
- Advisor approval.
The course consists of:
- An online prologue May 8-May 9
- Classes meet in Hollywood, CA May 10-25
- An online epilogue May 26-August 12
See important dates for more details.
During this course you will:
- Work on a series of treatments, exercises and short film scripts.
- Learn to give effective, constructive and useful notes to other writers, and accept notes from others graciously and judiciously.
- Meet and interact with Hollywood individuals.
- Learn about various studios, agencies and commissioning organizations.
- Students will see how the creative and business processes overlap
- Students will receive a workshop on "Navigating Hollywood as a Christian" (or similar topic). Students will tour Hollywood studios as well as network with Christians in the industry.
- Students will complete a commercially viable short film script.
Integration of Faith
I Peter 2:11-12 encourages us with these words: “Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.” Isaiah says this: “The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners…” Hollywood is a tough place to live and work, but also a place in need of a message of Good News. This immersion course will address the challenges of being an exile in a strange land, as well as equip the student with both the artistic and spiritual means to bring light and hope into the industry and the craft.