Course & Schedule
Our study program will provide Regent students and SCA alumni with a two-week total immersion experience in the professional world of Hollywood screenwriting. During this course, students will work in a television writer's atmosphere under the guidance of industry experts, developing a short film script. Students will study the various aspects of screenwriting under the tutelage of the faculty and guest speakers.
Guest speakers to include (subject to change):
- Bil Marsilii (Déjà vu)
- Clare Sera (The Familymoon)
- Cory Edwards (Hoodwinked)
- Andrea Nasfell (Mom’s Night Out)
- Chris Riley (After the Truth, The Hollywood Standard)
- Cheryl McKay (The ultimate Gift)
- Sheryl J. Anderson (Charmed, When Calls the Heart)
- Dean Batali (the 70’s Show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
- Monica Macer (Nashville, Prison Break, Lost)
- Joel McCrary (Kickin’ It)
All students are required to have experience in different aspects of screenwriting and production in order to effectively contribute towards the scripts and production the class is developing.
We are offering the following courses:
- SSW 614: Topics in Screenwriting: The Hollywood Experience
(3 credit hours)
- SSW 512: Writing the Short Film (3 credit hours)
Requirements for Acceptance:
- SSW 510 (preferred) or a Producing class (CTV 525, 526 or 527).
- Writing sample to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with application:
- Short film script or television script or;
- Feature film script in lieu of short film script or television script
The course consists of:
- Online proloque
- May 10-25: class meets in Hollywood, CA
See important dates for more details.
During this course you will:
- Work on a series of treatments, exercises and short film scripts.
- Learn to give effective, constructive and useful notes to other writers, and accept notes from others graciously and judiciously.
- Meet and interact with Hollywood individuals, some of whom could become future employers and colleagues.
- Learn about various studios, agencies and commissioning organizations.
- Students will see how the creative and business processes overlap
- Students will receive a workshop on "Navigating Hollywood as a Christian" (or similar topic). Students will tour Hollywood studios as well as network with Christians in the industry.
- Students will complete a commercially viable short film script.