What's the Difference?
The MA in Production and the MA in Producing
Both are 30 credit hour degrees.
Both can be completed in one calendar year.
MA in Production (on campus):
- Designed as a general degree in filmmaking.
- Students learn a little bit of producing, directing, and editing.
- Culminating experience is a directed project (short media project).
- Most classes are taken on campus with some courses being offered online.
- Job opportunities vary according to strength, but the student would be ready to produce, direct and edit small to medium market products.
- The degree offers one class in producing.
MA in Producing (online):
- Designed as a focused degree in how to be a producer.
- Students learn some general filmmaking but take more focused classes on the specific skills, techniques and tasks of a producer.
- Culminating experience is a 1 credit portfolio, completed in the student's locale (where they are living).
- All classes are offered online.
- Job opportunities include working as producers, production managers, and executive producers on a wide variety of media.
- The degree offers 8 classes in producing.