Directed Project/Internship Overview
For students in School of Communication & the Arts programs initiating an internship or a directed project, there are three required forms:
1a) Internship Contract: used by FTV & Theater Students.
1b) Directed Project Contract: used by JRN & Strat Comm Students.
2) Individual Study Form - required for all.
3) Evaluation Form - required for all.
Directions for JRN & Strat. Com Students: (updated 3/15)
- Find / develop a Directed Project opportunity.
- Share / discuss the project idea with your advisor for approval.
- If approved: complete the Directed Project Approval form and Individual Study form and obtain all required signatures. Take/send forms to the appropriate registration support staff who will complete the registration.
IMPORTANT: Only start the Project after all forms have been submitted and registration has been completed.
- During the Project, communicate with your advisor about your progress. Send an email update every two weeks and include applicable project links or attachments to demonstrate progress.
- To complete the project:
1) Complete the Evaluation Form with your industry supervisor and return with all signatures to your academic adviser.
2) Write a 7-12 page informal paper about the experience. Explain the project, discuss your learning progress and the outcome. Include screen-shots, graphics or links as applicable. Email to your advisor.
The project is graded "pass/fail".
NOTE: JRN and Strat. Com Students also have the option to complete their degree with a Thesis/Dissertation. Students usually chose this option if they have a high interest in a specific research topic or theory related to their academic field. A thesis may also be helpful if a student intends PhD studies in their near future. Please contact your advisor for more details.
Please watch this video for more information on the Directed Project >