Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Comprehensive Exams
Qualifications to Take the Exam
Students must have completed all course work with a GPA of 3.00 or higher and be in good standing with the university
Upcoming Exam Dates
March 4, 2016
May 13, 2016
July 15, 2016
September 9, 2016
November 18, 2016
Please note: Seating is limited to the first 21 registrants, so register early!
Send an email to Monica Bocarnea (email@example.com) one month prior to the exam's date to let her know of your intent to take your exam.
Regent University, Classroom Building Computer Lab (CRB 239) on the 2nd floor (see campus map).
9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
LPHD Question One: From LPHD761 and/or LPHD763
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Lunch [provided by SBL]
12:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
LPHD Question Two: From LPHD762 and/or LPHD764
2:30 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
Break [provided by SBL]
3:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
LPHD Question Three: From the student's concentration area.
For LPOL students the question will come from LPOL761 and/or LPOL763.
For LPEN students the question will come from LPEN768 and/or LPEN771.
For LHRD students the question will come from LHRD761 and/or LHRD763.
For LPEC students the question will come from LPEC761 and/or LPEC764.
LPHD Question Four: Research Question
The research question is a take-home exam. The question will be sent to your regent.edu e-mail account at the end of the exam day. You have five days to answer this question and submit it to Monica Bocarna (firstname.lastname@example.org), as an email attachment. Mrs. Bocarnea must receive your research answer by midnight Wednesday following the exam day.
During the Exam
At the time of the exam, you will be given a USB drive containing your response files. You will use the response file that corresponds to the specific question you are answering in each session. At the end of each exam period, the USB drives will be collected and secured. The assigned USB Drive will be returned to each student at the time of the subsequent question response periods.
During the exam, you may have blank paper, which will be provided by SBL. No books or other notes are allowed. At the end of the exam, any notes that you wrote will remain with the exam proctor. During the exam, you may listen to a CD/tape player as long as you have a headset. You will need to show the proctor that you have a commercially-produced CD.
Students may answer the comprehensive exam questions using pen and paper and should notify us before the exams so we can provide you with ruled paper.
If an international student wants to take the exam in his/her country he/she must find a proctor and a suitable place to take the exam. The proctor may be a Ph.D. with knowledge of comprehensive exams or a professional test proctor in a test-giving facility. The location must be a place that is quiet (conducive to taking the exam) and have access to a computer with Microsoft Word (no internet). The proctor must submit their CV or resume at least one month prior to the proposed examination date for approval by the SBL Ph.D. Program Director.
Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation must contact the Office of Student Services and make a formal request. Staff from the Office of Student Services will evaluate the request and make a formal recommendation to the School of Business & Leadership.
A faculty committee will evaluate students' responses anonymously. Students will be notified of the results within 30 days of the exam.
- Students passing all questions may begin formal work on the dissertation.
- Students not passing all questions may retake the missed question(s) at a subsequent regularly scheduled comprehensive exam session.
- Students who must retake more than one question of their comprehensive exams may choose to schedule the retakes over multiple scheduled exam dates.
- Students who fail one or more questions a second time may take remedial course work that matches the failed question, work with professors on practice questions, and have one more opportunity to retake the failed questions.
- Students who fail question 1 must retake either LPHD761 and LPHD763.
- Students who fail question 2 must retake either LPHD762 and LPHD764.
- Students who fail question 3 (concentration question) must retake one of the two concentration courses upon which the question is based.
- Students who fail question 4 must retake one of the research methods courses (LPHD753 or LPHD756).
- Students who fail for the third time must end their studies in the Ph.D. program at that point.