Jay E. Gary, Ph.D.
Dr. Jay Gary joined the faculty of the School of Business & Leadership in 2003. He is an assistant professor who directs the Strategic Foresight program, which helps students from the MBA to doctoral level master the art of foresight in both business and community contexts. He also serves as the program director of the M.A. in Strategic Foresight and directs the Christian Futures network.
Before coming to Regent, Dr. Gary served more than two decades as a strategy consultant to nonprofit, public and private enterprises. In addition, throughout the '90s, he worked as a "millennial consultant" helping communities mark their passage into the 21st century. In 1994, he penned the first inspiration book on how to mark Christ’s 2,000th jubilee in a meaningful way.
From 1986 to 1989, Dr. Gary served as a conference planner with the Lausanne movement, a network launched by Billy Graham. Before 1986, he worked as a pastor to college students, a mission educator and a magazine editor.
- Emerald Management Review's Citation of Excellence, selected as one of 50 best articles of 15,000 published in 2008 for Gary, J. (2008, September). The future according to Jesus: A Galilean model of foresight. Futures, 40(7), 630-642.
- Empowered21, (2011, May), working group for Global Cabinet, http://www.empowered21.com/
- Co-chair, (2011, March). Regent Instructional Technology Committee, along with Ginger Zillges, Center for Teaching and Learning, Regent University.
- Regional Editor, North America, Foresight journal, Emerald, Cambridge, UK.
- Member, Steering Committee, World 2100 Project.
- Member, Work group for U.S. Army Deputy Chief of Staff G-2-Intelligence, Winter 2009 Future of Operational Environment Seminar, Portsmouth, Va., March 17-19.
- Editorial member, Journal of Strategic Leadership, October 2008.
- Member, Review Committee, Special Issue on Professional Futures, May 2009, Journal of Futures Studies, Tamkang University, Taiwan, September 2008.
- Project Leader, Spiritual Capital Research Listserv, Regent Center for Entrepreneurship, September 2008.
- Member, Advisory Board, Berkshire Encyclopedia of the 21st Century (forthcoming), August 2008.
- Member, Advisory Board. Futures Education Project, Houston, Texas, July 2008 .
- Member, Nature Planning Network, New Gloucester, Maine, April 2008.
Advisor, Lifeboat Foundation, surviving existential risks from genetic engineering, nanotechnology, and robotics, April 2008.
- Executive Committee, Alliance for Vulnerable Mission, Maseno, Kenya, March 2008.
- Advisor, Enfoque, Citywide Transformation, Mexico City, Campus Crusade for Christ
International, December 8, 2007.
- Board of Reference, WellSpirit Consulting Group, Inc., Lansing, IL, for Dr. Renee Hale, December 5, 2007.
- Council Member - Consultant, Gerson Lehrman Group, Policy & Economics Council, Fall 2007.
- Board Chairman, Global Service Associates, a 501-c-3 non-profit, Louisville, CO, November 12, 2007.
- Member, Professional Development Committee, Association of Professional Futurists, March 2007.
- Member, Springs 2000 Commission, 1999-2000; by the Mayor of Colorado Springs.
- Associate, Center for Millennial Studies, History department, Boston University, 1997 - 2002.
- Member, Exploratory Team, The Journey of the Magi, Catlin Foundation, 1996-1997.
- Member, Founding Board, Caleb Project, 1982-1987.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership, Regent University, 2004-2008
- M.A. in Education, California State University, Los Angeles, 1983
- B.S. in Industrial Mgt., Georgia Institute of Technology, 1976
- Strategic Leadership
- Leadership Competencies
- Corporate Foresight Systems
- Delphi Panels
- Foresight Assessments for Individuals, Groups and Organizations
- Global Leadership
- Historical Jesus
- Post-industrial Missiology
- World Futures Debate
Applied expertise in employing futures methodology and anticipatory management in corporate, educational, non-profit and government contexts.
- Founding Member: Association of Professional Futurists, 2002–present
- Member: World Future Studies Federation, 2003–present
- Member: Evangelical Missiological Society, 2005–present
- Member: World Future Society, 1990–present
- Member: Evangelical Theological Society, 2003–2009
- Member: American Academy of Religion, 2000–2009
- Member: Association of Strategic Alliance Professionals, 2008–2009
- Member: International Leadership Association, 2007-2008
- Member: Christian Business Faculty Association, 2006-2008
- Member: Society for Pentecostal Studies, 2011-present
- Consultant, (2011-2012, Jan). Billy Wilson, International Center for Spiritual Renewal, Cleveland, TN, http://www.icfsr.org
- Consultant, (2010, Dec. 16). Certificate in Community Transformation, Communities of the Future, Rick Smyre, Gastonia, NC, http://communitiesofthefuture.org/
- Consultant (2010, April 4) "Regent University: Toward 2020-an emerging issues proposal," co-authored report for the Office of Institutional Effectiveness, Dr. James Downey, Regent University.
- Consultant, Advanced Planning Office, for environmental analysis (2007, Fall). NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA 23681, http://sppmo.larc.nasa.gov/index.cfm
- Council Member - Consultant (2007, Nov. 15). Gerson Lehrman Group, Policy & Economics Council, http://www.glgcouncils.com/
- Consultant to Executive Committee, issues analysis, (2007, Oct. 6). Forum Foundation, Seattle, WA, 98105, http://www.forumfoundation.org
- Consultant to strategic lead team, trends analysis of youth culture 2020 (2007, Oct. 31). Teen Mania, Garden Valley, TX 75771, http://www.teenmania.com
- Future of Mission Aviation, 2004, Global Mapping International, http://www.gmi.org/
- Holy Land Trust, 1996-1997, http://www.holylandtrust.org/
- Leadership ’88 and GCOWE ’89, Lausanne Committee for World Evangelization, 1986-1989, http://www.lausanne.org
- AD 2000 Movement, 1989 – 1990, http://www.jaygary.com/by2000.shtml
- Consultant, Worldwide Student Network, Campus Crusade for Christ, 1986 – 1988, http://www.campuscrusadeforchrist.com/
- Consultant, Perspectives Study Program, Institute of International Studies, 1982-1986, http://www.perspectives.org/