Vice President for Human Resources and Administration
“Regent students learn more than what they are taught in their coursework. They also learn by observing and interacting with Regent employees, who are real-life role models of excellence, innovation and integrity in the workplace. Regent students do not have to choose between strong academics, innovative technology, and a firm commitment to biblical principles.”
Leadership in Human Resources and Administration
- Responsible for leading the university's strategic management of its human resources as a vital part of overall marketplace competitiveness.
- Responsible for providing all academic and administrative computer, media services, and telephone services needs of the university.
- Develops and implements strategies to establish and maintain a healthy and positive workplace environment for faculty, staff and students.
- Develops university-wide personnel policies and procedures to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Oversees all record keeping and procedural functions required to ensure that employment, compensation, benefits, safety, personnel and equal opportunity policies and practices comply with applicable criteria of accrediting agencies, governmental agencies, and federal and state labor laws.
- Provides leadership, strategic planning, and budgetary management for all employees within the IT and Human Resources department.
- Responsible for: PC support of students and staff, instructional support services, telephone systems administration, Internet connectivity and network applications, web services and website operation, development (or selection) of software, operation of software to support administrative and educational functions, disaster recovery planning coordination and project management of IT initiatives.
- Supervises the Director of Human Resources and the Executive Director of Information Technology.
Ms. Martha Smith
Ms. Smith has led the Human Resources Department since 1983. Responsibility for the Information Technology Department was added in 2014. She is responsible for managing and implementing the overall organizational strategy of Regent University's faculty and staff. She provides leadership for Information Technology, Media Services and Telephone Services departments.
She holds her Juris Doctorate (JD) from the Regent University School of Law and M.A. in Management from the Regent University School of Business & Leadership. Ms. Smith has been certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) by the Human Resources Certification Institute since 2001.
Active in the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) since 1985, she has held various leadership roles, including Hampton Roads SHRM chapter president in 1992 and 1993, president of the Virginia SHRM State Council in 2001 and 2002, and district director for the Eastern District of the Virginia SHRM State Council in 2008 and 2009. Ms. Smith has also been an active member of the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR) for many years. As a participant in her local community, Ms. Smith served on the board of directors for Guardian Federal Credit Union in Portsmouth, VA in 2008 until the Credit Union's merger with ABNB Credit Union in November 2014.